Friday, October 15, 2010

W.I.H.L.O.D.




What I have Learned on Dates

I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but I was talking with a friend about dating and stuff. She said she has never been on a date before (even though she had a boyfriend) and doesn't seem to make a big deal out of it. I don't think it has to be a big deal, but I told her that one of the biggest things I get out of a date is what I learn from the other person. I usually don't ask out a person on a date unless I realize there's something else there besides physical attraction or if there's something I can learn from the other person.
That's right, I'm a leech. I suck the good out of people, apply it to myself, and then toss the carcass away. OK, that's not really a leech...more like some weird monster from a movie. And yeah, that sounds weird. But really, I look for the good each person can bring that I may not have and try to learn new things because everyone is from different places. i believe everyone has some good quality to bring to the table. I then capitalize on the good and try to make it a part of me. I guess in a way it does sound selfish, haha. But this may be reason why I have a feminine side to me.


For example, I am not much of a family person I admit. I LOVE my family. I am VERY grateful and thankful for them. Without them I would not be here. However, I don't get homesick. I don't feel the need to be in weekly contact with them (though if I feel prompted to I will always try and be in touch). I'm not a touchy person. Until recently, "I love you" was simply not in my diction. However, I was hanging out with someone once (I don't know if it could be counted as a date), and we were discussing our greatest fears. I said mine was h
eights, getting jumped, getting attacked, getting beat up, being outnumbered in a fight, and stuff like that. Her first one was spiders, but then she said something that impacted me. She said she was most afraid of being away from her family in a catastrophe. You know something is important to someone when they mention it in casual conversation like that. It was just something that never crossed my mind. It really has changed the way I interact and feel about my family and even my future family.

I've learned how to ask questions, how to interact and be genuinely interested in people, how to put more effort into school work, how to be more organized (I started using a planner more frequently after seeing her organization), how to be relaxed.

I've also learned where my actual interests lay, to be a stronger person in integrity and living example of Christ, how to say "no" (haha), how to be a better listener, to be positive and proactive, how to be more sensitive, to appreciate classical music, and etc.



All dates are not equal, but all daters have stuff to learn from and appreciate. How else will I learn about Conneticut or Massachusetts without going there?? Yes, books. That's the answer, but you know what I mean.

So yes, dating is fun. Its the opportunity to learn, to understand someone else, and, for me, to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment