Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Charity Never Faileth

A girl went onto the podium this past sunday during fast and testimony meeting and shared a heartfelt message about God understanding who you are and being there. She said over the last few months she began building an overwhelming sense of loneliness. She said to herself, "who am I kidding? I don't have a relationship with any of these people!" regarding her friends. She was crying the whole time, and it actually shocked me. She always came off as a popular, energetic, spiritual, and outgoing person. I could not have tell that she was dealing with this. It saddened me. I don't know her very well. I went on one date with her (the only girl I ever dated from Asian Ward besides another girl who seems to be considering moving into the ward) and I felt like we connected really well. We would always say "hi" to each other.

But then this semester she stopped saying hi. So I just assumed it was awkward or something. Truth be told, I thought she just didn't care to say hi anymore so I responded likewise. As she was bearing her testimony I felt so foolish to have judged her that way.

Do we ever assume that someone doesn't need our help? Do we assume someone is doing fine? I heard someone say that if we always assume someone needs healing we will be right 50% of the time. In getting caught up in my own self I forgot to look our for others. In judging others I didn't realize they were dealing with their own hurts.

"There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere." - President Monson, Charity Never Faileth

No comments:

Post a Comment