Saturday, January 22, 2011

Influential People part 1

I was thinking the other day how much other people have changed my life, or changed how I viewed myself or life. For example, of course my parents figure prominently into this. My dad has always taught me to not do things half-heartedly. If I was going to do something I should complete it. As crazy as it sounds, it is now only beginning to dawn on me what this means. But I've also learned from him in other indirect ways. He always seems so confident of himself and assertive. When he wants to know something he doesn't hesitate to ask even, at times, to my own embarrassment. He will not stop pursuing something until he knows what he wants to do know and, if he's making a decision, until he exhausts all his options.

Just this past break we went to Wal-Mart to check out my tires. He didn't think anything of it to just stroll into the garage and start asking everyone about things as if he was king of the place. Some guys were on their lunch breaks, and this one older gentleman was working on another car and my dad went in and started asking him questions. I was like "um...they're on their lunch breaks..." but I should have known my dad doesn't really listen to what I have to say if he has something he wants to do in mind. Thankfully, the older guys were more than courteous enough to answer his questions.

I'm not sure if it's because my dad is a little clueless to what's going on or if he thinks everyone is created to serve him, but I do wonder sometimes what he thinks others think of him. He doesn't seem to care at all (sometimes to a negative effect such as when he started cussing out this store owner in Florida, LOL). He's not afraid to go after what he wants.


No comments:

Post a Comment