Sunday, January 30, 2011

I don't know if I've written this before....but...

1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I reread that verse this past Monday as I was thinking "Why do I have my particular weaknesses?" I know everyone is unique in their circumstances and if we were to throw all our trials into a pile and pick which ones we want we'd probably pick our own. But the first part of this verse says that everyone goes through similar things and the temptations we have are common to everyone. Summed up perfectly by Lights "the way you feel is something everybody goes through", but though we feel similar feelings the thing that makes us feel that way is different for everybody.

i think the verse after is essential. As is with everything in the Gospel ACTION must follow FAITH, and so Paul write in verse 14 "Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry" (italics added). Some people wonder "Well, how come I keep falling yielding to temptation and feeling so weak when God won't let us be tempted more than we can resist?"

One reason is that we constantly walk at the edge of the cliff. Sooner or later you will fall. And even then God probably can't catch you. We need to do our part and stay away as much as we can because "I, the Lord am bound when ye do what i say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise" (D&C 82:10).

2 comments:

  1. Drive with all four wheels in the cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, sometimes other people's problems seem so much easier/simpler but I guess that's because we are all progressing differently.

    ReplyDelete