Sunday, December 6, 2009

Faith vs. Works

My favorite things to study are faith, agency, and the Garden of Eden. The whole dynamic of how the Garden of Eden works is so fascinating. Everytime I answer some questions I just develop a dozen more. Agency is also real interesting just by the concept itself.

Faith has fascinated me because of how deep it is (along with other general gospel principles' basics). Its always interesting to hear faith versus works arguments because to me its not even an argument. To me, its like comparing apples and bananas. Or more closely, its like saying what's more important, the car or the car's engine? Faith has always been tied to works.

Even the most famous scripture presently, John 3:16, illustrates this point. Everyone knows "for God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life". This is followed by these verses, "For everyone that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. Bit he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be manifest, that they are wrought in God" (John 3:20-21).

Our faith in God must be followed by doing good, because after all, it is the opposite that pulls us away from God (Isaiah 59:1-3).

The problem, I think, comes from people who live on the extremes. We have met these people, and they're mostly really good people, but misguided I believe.

We've met the person who lives by faith alone, believing that baptism is not required, covenants are not required, and all these other things are not required if we only believe in the name of God or Jesus Christ. We know this is not true, for Satan believes also, but is he going to be saved? Of course not. James 2:17, 19.

However, we've also met those who only live by works. Those who say, "Oh, I don't need to go to church. I'm a good person. I don't believe God will keep me out of heaven. If there is a God, He will see that I lived a good life and won't let keep me out". This is wrong also. Paul battles this idea profusely, when he mentioned that God is the one saving you, not you, so you better believe what He says. Ephesians 2:8

There are those who contend that the scriptures are contradictory on this point. I don't believe so. They are addressing different audiences, from different authors, on different subjects, on different trials.

Often the words of Paul in Romans (Romans 3:28) are used to counter those of James, but Paul's epistles in Romans was partially written to settle the disputes that had arisen from the Law of Moses which was very law and works oriented. James epistle was directed at the 12 tribes and was a reminder to them not to become lazy in doing what was right (James 1:22). Faith needs works to be true faith, and work needs to have faith in order to have significance. Paul and James were just addressing the troubles of falling too extreme to either side.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the New Testament and all Paul talked in the Bible. :)
    You have good writing skills, Steven!

    ReplyDelete