Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So my trip up to Idaho was an eye opener and revelation. It was crazy, up and down, with drama, but ended happily enough. But it sparked some self-contemplation and wonderings of warnings from others.

First of all, my Californian friends are way more flirty than I remembered. Or its maybe cause I've been in Utah for so long. Mark and Jeff were Ok, but it was Alex and Dezzy that sparked the constant flirting more than anything else. haha. But it certainly made the road trip slightly more....interesting.

I ended up hanging out with mission friends for most of the time. We actually all ended up staying at different places, but I had fun. Watching the Laker game at Applebee's and being one of two people cheering for the Lakers (the other being a waitress, and the moment the Lakers won on a game-winning shot will be forever one of the kewlest memories I've shared with a stranger). The game itself was pretty crazy. Then watching the Lakers close it out with two of my mission buddies who were both rooting for the Suns...even more fun and memorable times. Got to see a bunch of missionaries, party a bit with them, and went to a single's ward with them. Fun times.

I did not know that there were personal agendas with my Californian friends about why they went to Idaho. I mean, that would make sense, they HATE utah, why would they ever go up to Idaho? Misunderstanding, hurt feelings, and an overall unstructured and unorganized road trip pretty much felt like it doomed the trip as the days went on. By the middle I was wondering if the reason anyone was doing anything was for an ulterior motive.

It was disappointing to see that, as immature and child-like as I am, I had, in a way, matured more than they did in the two years since I've been home since the mission. It was really interesting to see Dezzy become interested and entangled in boy trouble, a completely different Dezzy than the one I knew two years ago, making feel like the student had finally surpassed the teacher. The one thing I'm most amused about is that she continues to be more of a fan than a friend. However, when all the craziness settled, and as we were at Jack-in-the-Box the friend side of her finally revealed itself.

Overall, after all the frustration that I had felt coming off the trip, I finally understand the line "cuz I don't need your mess, I'll be the one to keep you, one disaster less" from Lights. Though their drama certainly is entertaining, and crazy at times, I will always be their friend, because sometimes, who else will be? haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment