Sunday, January 10, 2010

Prayer and answers

I remembered today something that my mission president pointed out a long time ago. It was about prayers and why missionaries saw so many miracles and they often had prayers answered.

He read from Alma 34 starting at verse 17 in which Amulek is teaching about praying constantly. He exhorts to pray constantly at home, in public, in private, for our food, for our clothes, for our well being, for strength against temptation, for protection. Missionaries are always praying. We pray so much and for guidance in everything.

Then my mission president point out verse 28. it read

"And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need - I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith".

Our mission president said that that was key. Because missionaries are constantly in service to others. Their prayers are so often answered, and that the reason many returned missionaries feel as if their prayers are less powerful or answered less, it is because they forget about this scripture and the need to do service.

I believe my last semester was characterized by a need to do service everyday. I have lost that fervor, and need to regain it. This is just one reason why I need to.

3 comments:

  1. Fervor...interesting word...

    THEN THE ANSWERS ARE HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, how come you haven't commented my blog lately? =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yeah those questions were odd...I got it from xanga.com, by searching the blogrings for surveys. it's fun. :D

    ReplyDelete