Monday, August 30, 2010

See you at the Qualifying Rounds Freshman.

I would now like to write a little bit about what I think of the places I've lived in since attending BYU. Since I've lived in several places and been in more apartments in Provo than some people have been in their entire lives I feel like I am able to say something credible. At least I feel that way.
scales are from 1-10, 10 being the best.
Here are my categories
Quality: the quality of the apartment including spacing, design, cleanliness,
Social Atmosphere (S.At): if the people were friendly and amount of opportunities to meet people (I believe that building and complex design has some direct correlation to the people who live there)
Amenities: internet connection, washer and dryer, pool, parking, other stuff
Access to Campus: How close was it to campus? To other buildings like the Marriot Center, etc.
Overall: self-explanatory (not an average. why? Because I'm writing this dang it!)



Deseret Towers
- Its a crappy place. Ghetto. Deseret Towers took pride in the fact that it dominated the Provo skyline and looked down on everybody (and that's why they had to tear it down). I think that was the best thing going for it. But it was very social due to the fact that your room was so small that if you stayed there any prolonged period of time you might develop muscle degeneration. Also...there was no kitchen, so you HAD to leave at some point unless your goal was to die in a dorm room. Add in the fact that millions of kids lived in the smallest space possible and you were bound to make friends, meet people, and play Starcraft (not necessarily in that order).
Quality: 5 (oh yeah, did I mention, they weren't earthquake proof!)
Social Atmosphere: 9
Amenities: 9 (pool, basketball courts, foosball tables, good parking, and a lot of other stuff)
Access to Campus: 8
Overall: 8 (this high only because I like the s.at)

Reynolds
- It was very nice. What else can I say? It was also cool being able to live right next door to girls. hahahaha.
Quality: 9
S.At: 8
Amenities: 5 (though having a washer and dryer IN your apartment was amazing, parking wasn't bad either)
Access to Campus: 6
Overall: 7

Apollo
- Well... let me say...its a nice place to live in when you're married. When you're living with your sister? You just feel really odd. I mean...its not like I could pop over next door and hang out with my neighbor's wife whenever I wanted. If I have to explain why that is awkward, then I hope I don't know you in real life. Other than that, it wasn't too bad.
Quality: 6
S.At: 1 (because all the married people hung out with each other, and I'm hesitating on even putting a 1)
Amenities: 4 (parking was always good, and washing and laundry were in the same complex)
Access to Campus: 5
Overall: 5

Wyview
- I LOVED Wyview. It was the perfect blend of quality and social atmosphere. It helped though that I had awesome roommates..... i suppose if you had bad roommates it would be more like a dungeon. A clean, nicely designed dungeon. But a dungeon. It also helped that I was there in spring, helping the ward bonding because there weren't as many people, and sparing me of the vicious, flesh-eating, all consuming, wait. I was thinking of zombies, not freshman. But sparing me of hordes of freshman.
Quality: 9
S.At: 8
Amenities: 9
Access to Campus: 7 (the football stadium is dang close!!)
Overall: 8

Riverside Condiminiums
- Well. Here I am. And I can't say much yet, so these are first impressions. I really love the apartment. There are no downsides in terms of quality (except for the fact that the walls are so thin and that its not as new as some other places). Its nice, peaceful, and well-kept. There doesn't seem to be much going on though in terms of socialness. but I do like it.
Quality: 9
S.At: 2 (I only put a two here instead of a one because these two kids talked to me. Oh, and this hispanic lady said hello. You know there is something seriously lacking in this department when the fact that people even acknowledge you bumps it up one point).
Amenities: 7 (no pool, no courts, but washer and dryer, two of your own parking spaces, a storage unit, furnished apartment which is nice for a place like this)
Acess to Campus: 3 (considering that if I lived any further I might as well commute from L.A. and back. just kidding, its not that bad).
Overall: 7 (the exact opposite of DT where the quality was poor but the S.At was high)



There you have it. Or..I guess that was more for me.

Oh yeah, the title of this post is a random quote from a movie. LOL

1 comment:

  1. :D

    The new place seems nice. But Access and S. At seem like a major problem (especially access for me).

    ReplyDelete