Thursday, February 24, 2011

Between Two Worlds

Last Friday I did my traditional (or soon to be traditional) thing I do every two Friday nights. I hung out and played with the VGAME club. Truth be told, it was like going back to 4th grade again and playing Goldeneye with my friends. What does that mean? I just mean that it's been so long since I've played video games with a group of friends (Mike and Luke aside). It was 4 friggin hours of gaming bliss. But at the end of the night, as we were waiting for the President to wrap up the gaming session, the club members were talking about, what else?, GAMES. And I found myself not understanding half the jargon being said. 3/5's (yes, I used an obscure fraction) of the way through this conversation I realized something; am I still considered a gamer? Had I slowly, but surely, lost connection with the gaming mainstream? Granted, I chipped in here and there and felt good about myself, but I realized I had was lost for a large portion of the conversation.

My gaming tendencies still tend to leave me as a gamer when viewed by the general student body (ESPECIALLY at BYU I would say), but after reading Audrey's blog, realizing that no gaming websites are in my top 8 most viewed sites (3 of them are blogs for goodness' sake!), and that most of LightsArmy coming up are gamers (this includes the majority of every teenage girl on LightsArmy, yes I realized I used "majority" followed by "every") I recognized that it's just not as integral a part of me as it used to be, and that I'm neither gamer nor non-gamer (a casual gamer almost!)

The reason why this happened is probably because I'm at BYU where I've been so streamlined into the focus of dating that I've just become this one-dimensional cookie-cutter male student at BYU (and I'm not saying dating isn't a bad thing to focus on). I've kinda become what they want me to become. I guess the real question is then, do I mind? No. Not at all actually. There are attributes that I've developed that I feel are useful to life and this next stage to my life might just be a natural evolution of me. There are some aspects of gaming that I'd rather not return to too.

However, I would like to re-explore my roots though and have more of a balance to my life. A little gaming never hurt anyone.

3 comments:

  1. There's this article in the NY Times about a woman who thinks playing video games will solve the world's problems. You might find that interesting. I think dating is a better thing to focus on. Especially because it leads to marriage. And I think focusing on family will solve the world's problems, not playing video games. But I can see why people enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...a lot of the times it felt like no one was listening to me. But I think you're well focused on some games (DKC, Pokemon, Starcraft). People who focus specifically on games tend to have a lot more detail in the things they follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are anything but a cookie cutter, Steven. And that's why we're friends.

    ReplyDelete